Skip to main content


Frequently Asked Questions

What is secondary water? 

Secondary water is an untreated water supply for use on landscape only.  It is non-potable (non-drinkable) and water from this source should NEVER be consumed.  Be advised that this water source should not be used for outdoor recreation such as pools or playing in sprinklers.  Please explain to children the differences between water sources around the home.  A good measure is to paint secondary water taps and spigots a different color to distinguish them from drinking water sources.  Washing with soap and water is advised after coming in contact with secondary water.  Go to for more information.

What is Roy Water Conservancy District? 

The District is a Water Conservancy District organized as a political subdivision of the State of Utah under the Utah Water Conservancy Act, 17B-2a-1001, et seq, Utah Code Ann., 1953, as amended.  Roy Water Conservancy District provides secondary irrigation water only. The delivery system is largely pressurized by gravity, although pumping is required to provide pressure to the east end of the system. Roy Water Conservancy District provides no pressure regulation on the system, so customers must provide their own.

Roy Water Conservancy Subdistrict originated on February 16, 1965.  Construction on the Subdistrict infrastructure began in 1974 and was finished in 1977.  The Subdistrict was built as a small reclamation project by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation through the Small Reclamation Loan Act.  Initial federal funding for the Subdistrict infrastructure was $8,400,000 and now has a present value in excess of $40,000,000.

Roy Water Conservancy Subdistrict secondary water system was built primarily for agricultural needs in the Roy City area, as pressurized irrigation was a secondary need.  Today, the primary purpose of the secondary water system is to provide pressurized irrigation for domestic lawn and garden use, as well as to conserve, develop, and stabilize supplies of water for domestic, irrigation, power, manufacturing, and other beneficial uses.

On April 30, 2007, Roy Water Conservancy Subdistrict became Roy Water Conservancy District due to a change in the Utah Code.   The District’s service area is completely within Weber County and is located within the Weber Basin Water Conservancy District boundaries.  The service area is primarily Roy City but has grown to include small portions of West Haven, Hooper, and Riverdale.

The District maintains over 10,500 secondary water connections for approximately 45,000 residents.  The District maintains approximately 135 miles of pressurized pipe.  The District services 5,578 acres of domestic lawn and garden watering along with a small portion of agriculture.

Is Roy Water Conservancy District part of Roy City, Weber Basin Water Conservancy District, or Pineview Water? 

Roy Water Conservancy District is a separate public entity, which operates independently of Roy City, even though we work in conjunction with them.  We are not a part of Weber Basin Water Conservancy District, although we have an Operation & Maintenance agreement with them to operate and maintain their West Haven secondary water system.  We are not a part of Pineview Water Systems.

Who is responsible for my gate or ball valve? 

The gate or ball valve is the sole responsibility of the property owner.  The valve is generally located on one of the property lines and is approximately 1' behind the sidewalk (towards the house) in a green box.

Where does my secondary water come from? 

We get our water from the Davis & Weber Counties Canal Company, which gets its water from Echo and East Canyon reservoirs.

Why does my secondary water seem to have lower pressure than normal? 

Most customer secondary water systems have had filters installed to limit the amount of debris that may plug valves and sprinkler heads on the system.  These filters require periodic cleaning.  Please check your filter to ensure it is clean on a regular basis.  We have videos here showing how to clean different types of filters.

Do you offer rebates for Smart Irrigation Controllers, Flip Your Strip, or Landscape Lawn Exchange? 

Weber Basin Water Conservancy District offers rebates to all residents living in Davis, Weber, Morgan, and Summit counties.  There are specific requirements for each rebate offered.  Go to Weber Basin's website for information on how to apply.

Am I connected to secondary water? 

You can search for your address on this MAP, and the information returned will let you know if you are in our boundary and if you are connected.  Type in your house number only (without the South or West) and pick your address from the list.